Unless you have been living under a rock, you’ve heard of chatbots. Although, with this growing marketing craze, they’ll probably be available at a rock near you as well.
Chatbots are completely revolutionizing the way businesses market themselves and convert leads to customers. They are also changing the way brands communicate with their followers and the way people purchase products and services.
This is an industry that is growing super quick and that’s why we decided to write a quick guide on chatbots and what the career opportunities look like.
What are Chatbots?
A chatbot is a series of pre-written responses that sometimes involve AI. It can be anything from a few simple messages that are automatically sent to the user to a high tech bot that fetches data and displays it nicely in a chat message.
What Challenges are Chatbots Solving?
First and foremost chatbots are used to offer customers a new way to purchase products. For example, Nordstrom launched a chatbot to take orders during the holiday season.
You can do the same with any business, whether you are selling shoes, makeup, or flight tickets.
Another advantage of using AI is that chatbots can help gather data and find outliers in your business within minutes. A task that would surely take your assistant months to complete. Statsbot does exactly that. It integrates with your Salesforce and sends updates to your Slack channel in real time.
Another incredible advantage to using chatbots is that they create a new marketing channel for any product or service that you’re launching. For example, Disney created a chatbot for the launch of the movie Zootopia. The chatbot challenged every user to play a mystery game using the movie’s characters.
5 of the hottest bots on the market:
1. BellyHungry – The name says it all. Picture it, your stomach is grumbling and you’re daydreaming of Italian. This isn’t your average bot. Tell Belly Hungry, you are in the mood for chicken parm and be as amazed as the bot shows you restaurants in your area serving that yummy Italian dish in seconds. Then that same wonderful bot will find you a table and have you clinking wine glasses in no time.
2. Duolingo – Bonjour! Ready to learn a language the fast way?! Get tests and learn new words all through chat with this bot.
3. Hipmunk – No more travel woes. Get up to date, real-time info for all your travel needs. Flights, rental cars and hotels-done with a quick chat.
4. Chatobook – This bot gives you amazing pre-built bot templates perfect to fit your every business need. Show off your menu, get important feedback from your customers and promote your latest award-winning dish.
5. GrowthBot – this is a specialized personal assistant for marketers and sales teams. Use it to get a list of all the apps and plugins that your competitors are using, to get a list of leads you should be following, and to get data on your business.
Top Chatbot Companies
Here are a few of the top bot companies
Octane AI (San Francisco)
Octane AI is founded by Forbes 30 under 30 Matt Schlicht and specializes in making incredibly well-designed bots. It quickly grew to create bots for some of the most well-known personalities. Among them – 50 Cent, Maroon5, and Lindsay Lohan.
Chatfuel (San Francisco)
Chatfuel is famous for being the first company to offer a free bot plan. You can build a bot literally from scratch for no money. Among its customers are TechCrunch, Adidas, and BuzzFeed.
ManyChat (San Francisco)
ManyChat is a specialized chatbot platform that is built for marketers to grow subscriber lists and maximize content marketing efforts. It also has a free plan and has a variety of unique growth tools such as – landing pages, popups, and head banners – that all bring the visitor to Facebook Messenger.
Top Jobs in the Chatbot Industry
With this market literally exploding if you have the right background, you can find a sweet job. Here are some of the most popular jobs in the industry:
Full Stack Engineer – every company is looking for engineers and chatbot companies are no exception. There are a variety of full-stack engineering jobs that you can apply for.
Product Manager – tons of opportunity for project managers jobs in the chatbot industry
Creative Lead – this position is not for writing content for the company but also creating the content for the various bots.
And finally, a good resource for chatbot jobs is BotJobs.